Wednesday, January 8, 2014

September 2.

After 6 months, I have been transferred! I'm going to Chemnitz! And you know the best thing about the Chemnitz area? It has a CAR. Which means... I get to get my German licence. Wuhoo! I'm also pretty excited because I will be serving with Sister Schmidt! She was in my room at the MTC. Sister Walker is staying in Cottbus and will probably finish out her mission here. 13 of 18 months in the same city ;)
We had a few miracles this week I wanted to share! :)
We had a lesson with Melvin this week and as we talked more about his questions about the Plan of Salvation, I asked him how he felt when he came into the church. He started listing off things about other churches that he didn't like for a while and we were about to interject to try to get him back on track, but then he said that when he comes to our church, he feels peace and calm. He loves the way things are set up and he loves the people he meets. He said, "I really think this could be the true church of Christ!". It's amazing how little things like an investigator bearing you their testimony when you don't know if they have one changes your entire week.
Last week we met a lady named Christa and we have had a few appointments with her. We always went in with something planned but every time it seemed to get distracted and off topic. The discussions weren't really going anywhere, but we invited her to the church so I could say goodbye to her. When she came in she looked really tired but excited. She told me that she had been up until 3 in the morning researching mormon.org, lds.org, etc and she was so interested in the first few questions that she couldn't stop. She asked about "Mormons" and why they are motivated to do the things they do, so we were able to have a wonderful lesson about the Plan of Salvation. 
Our miracles this week have come more in the intimate setting of a lesson than out on the street proselyting, and I am so thankful for the Lord's tender mercies.
This week we tausched with Lankwitz! Sister Lartey and I came back to Cottbus and Sisters Walker and Turner stayed. I was immediately impressed by Sister Lartey because she doesn't seem insecure with her calling. I have noticed it in a few of the other missionaries I have worked with, but Sister Lartey just eminates confidence. She talks with everyone, laughs, asks questions when she doesn't know. All around I feel like I had it easy with her. She is a natural leader, but she is fun and loving too. 
I've been thinking a lot about becoming. Everything we ever see in it's present state was once something different. A tree had to become a tree - it wasn't one before. A shopping mall had to become a shopping mall. Before it was just an empty spot of land. We, as humans, are not always satisfied with raw material - we MAKE it into something. 
I guess I was just in awe of everything. As people, we have to become something too. We don't just sit here and automatically become what we want to become. It takes work.
Our ultimate goal - to be like God - motivates us to become. 
I think of Christ in the Garden of Gethsamanie, and then at Golgatha. Before He undertook the Atonement, he was Jesus, son of David. He was forordained to become the Savior of the World, but he wasn't until AFTER he performed the Atonement. He had a promise of becoming the Savior of the world, but he didn't actually become the Savior until after his work. (Alma 7:11-13)
If Jesus Christ, the promised Savior, had to go through tests, trials, to become our Redeemer, how much more do we have to do to become like God?

No comments:

Post a Comment