Wednesday, January 8, 2014

August 5

As I thought about it more and more, I realized that the people I love most are the ones who didn't accept me simply because that's who I was. They saw potential in me that I had never seen before and helped me change. This "revelation" should have been apparent sooner, and I think at some point in my life I knew it, but you know when you are doing great, the Lord cuts you down again and humbles you. And for that, I am thankful. I think sometimes we don't realize we have pride until someone corrects you. I guess that's why it's always "Beware of pride", and not "don't have pride". Both are good. But one is more of a warning, letting you know that it slips in at times you least expect it.
Wow. I honestly thought that the area would lack a little bit because of how much we do with the Sisters, but it's just the opposite. The Lord has blessed us so much in only the last week, I can't wait to see what's next.
2 big miracles this week!
So last week, I don't remember if I told you, we used street chalk to write mormon.org all over one street. The next morning, we got a referral from someone who referred himself from the street chalk! We hadn't been able to get in contact with him until Saturday where we made out an appointment. His name is Melvin. We started teaching the Restoration and he soaked it in. He asked tons of questions and even said, "If this is true, how come not so many people know about it?" and agreed to read and pray about baptism. We committed him to baptism, but the date we picked out didn't feel right to either Sister Walker or myself, so we didn't commit him to a date. We have an appointment with him this week where we will do so. He thanked us for teaching him and said, "I don't know if I will be able to finish my PhD stuff I planned today. My heart is too big right now and I think I will need to read the Book of Mormon just so I can put it at ease!"
Also, in October, Sister Walker and Sister Neukomm taught a man named Michael. Michael was baptized, moved and shortly after became inactive. Ever since I got to Cottbus, I have been trying to find this man. At least a few times a week we exchange texts, I call but he never answers, we set up appointments that always fall through... So when Sister Walker came back, she wanted to find him. Good. So do I. Haha. Anyway, she called him and he answered. Miracle? I thought so. He said he would be at church on Sunday, but when he wasn't, we went to look for him. We got to Lübbenau and it started POURING rain. We had an hour before our train came so we decided to look for him anyway. We went to his house and his mom said that he had just left, so we went out to find him. The only problem is, is that Lübbenau is not necessarily the smallest dorf in Germany. (Not the largest, either, thank goodness) So, what do missionaries do? They pray. We prayed that we would find Michael and then set off. Keep in mind that I have never met this man before, so I have no idea who we are looking for, but Sister Walker does. We go to the shopping center which is closed on Sundays, but decided to look anyway... He wasn't there. So it's pouring rain, no one is on the streets, but we kept walking. Across the street, I saw that a chinese food restaurant was open (Strange. For Germany on Sundays, ANYTHING to be open is strange...) and all of the sudden, I knew he was in there. There was movement, so I told Sister Walker that it was him and that we were going to chinese. We got to the restaurant, and MICHAELWAS THERE. Wow. If that's not a Liahona Story, I don't know what is. But more than that, I am especially grateful to the promptings I receive, even if they are mere thoughts (and sometimes not exactly sure if it's just me or the Holy Ghost). That was a HUGE testimony builder to me that the Lord really is looking out for us, and he uses his tools to bring the one lost sheep back to the fold. 
Something else I learned is how much I LOVE the stripling warriors. We decided to teach about them for family night and I was getting so much adrenaline, I had to listen to battle songs from Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and may or may not have worn a Burger King crown while studying. I felt it added to the ambiance.
Something I love about this chapter: Alma 56:17 "And they were determined to conquer". They were determined to conquer, but they were more determined to conquer with the Lord on their side, than running ahead and losing the pace. When asked in verse 44 "What say ye, my sons, will ye go against them to battle?" they respond, "Father, behold our God with with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then LET US GO FORTH."
I can't even explain in words how much respect and admiration I have for this little army. I imagine them just like it says they were. Very young. 
It seems like this work moves forward more and more with the youth of the church. The Stripling Warriors were very young. Joseph Smith was very young. Missionaries are very young. I think there is something to be learned in that. Especially since little children are alive in Christ. As we humble ourselves, and become alive in Christ, I think it's possible to have the courage of the Stripling Warriors that say, "Let us go forth". 
I am so thankful to be here. Every day I am amazed that I am finally on a mission for the Savior. I hope and pray that I can use every day the way He wants me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment