Wednesday, January 8, 2014

July 15


First of all, I wanted to start out with a new tag line.
"We not only save souls, we save lives too!"
What do you think?
There is a story that goes along with this... We went and visited Bruder Graf this week (I swear, everything crazy happens with this man...) and had a really good lesson about the characteristics of God in preparation for a lesson with his friend! (Yes, he has invited his friend to take the missionary discussions and his friend accepted!) Well, we were just sitting, chatting, eating some cookies, when all the sudden, he gets up, says he wants to show us something and runs inside. 
He comes back outside with a little toy car that he bought in Leipzig, and was laughing about something he had just said (that we didn't understand), but ended up laughing a little too hard... 
Next thing I know, 10th grade health kicks in and I end up doing the Heimlich maneuver because he laughed so hard he choked on something and couldn't breathe. Meanwhile, Sister Miller is sitting in the corner, trying not to laugh/cry/run for help because she is so confused and has no idea what to do...
I was legitimately scared for this mans life and all I could think was "There is no way I am going to let our new convert die."
Anyway, he lived, we sat back down and I look at him, realizing that his life was literally just hanging in the balance and he says "Thanks be to God, you've saved my life TWICE!!!" haha
A really neat experience happened this week when we met with a young man that has been in contact/sortof meeting with missionaries for about 5 years. 
He is extremely intellectual, and questions everything. He asks lots of questions to make you think, but sometimes we feel like he is discussing for the sake of discussing and doesn't really want to learn or find out if there is anything more to life, if there is a God, etc, etc...
Anyway, we planned on teaching him the Plan of Salvation and had the entire lesson laid out when the conversation went in the direction of the Book of Mormon. He expressed his skepticism, how he doesn't believe anyone can find out the REAL truth, how he doesn't really want to try because he doesn't think it will work...
This was one of those times where we felt like the ending point would be a tschüß because he wasn't making progress, and didn't WANT to make progress, so we testified and something interesting happened. 
You know how in the scriptures it says that the Spirit has the power to confound men in their speech?
That's what happened.
He had absolutely nothing to say. 
Other than, "Okay, I want to discuss more about this Book with you. I will read it."
WHAT???
That was a miracle.

We are meeting with a lot of different people, but are in a little drought of progressing investigators. If you could pray for that, we are too!

I listened to a talk this week, "The Spirit of Revelation" by David A. Bednar and came to a self realization. He talks about how there are different experiences with light. That "A-HA" moment when the light turns on rapidly, when the sun rises but it is light way before, and also when the sun rises on a cloudy day. I realized that most of my life all the light or revelation I have recieved has been more like the 3rd. It has been light enough to see, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact moment when "the sun rose". I think we sometimes are dissappointed (at least I am) because we don't have an A-HA moment with the answers we are looking for, rather the answers come through experiences that you have in day to day life and when you look back on them, you are able to conclude the answer. You are able to see that you actually were led by the Spirit because of the miracles that happened because of a rightous decision - even though you weren't 100% positive - even though you didn't have that A-HA moment. Realizing that, it gave me an overwhelming feeling of gratitude because I felt that the Lord has trusted me to make good decisions, and thus gives me enough light to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment