Monday, July 7, 2014

June 9: I am behind in my journal writing.... Don't mind the long email ;)

Goodness gracious, where do I even begin?
This week has been extremely eventful!
Well... Maybe I have just noticed the little things more. That is the great thing about having a companion who is completely new to Germany. She notices all the stuff that don't even weird me out anymore...
For example, last Monday we were at the grocery store and in walks a man... who is completely wasted. 
This is not my first encounter with a drunk man, so I just kindof... nonchalantly brushed aside, but for Sister Sanders it was hilarious slash oddly disturbing. 
Anyway, we were putting our groceries into our bags, trying to make it all fit so we could take it home when he comes up and asked me if he could have my cart. In Germany, the grocery carts can only be used by putting in a coin of some sort, then you get it back when you return the cart (genius, I tell ya)... Anyway, for my birthday last year, one of the Elders I served with gave me a keychain with a little token thing that you can pull out and use in place of a coin.. So obviously I couldn't give this drunk man my cart... It had my coin in it. So he goes and gets his own cart... And comes back to show us? 
"Oh that's nice. I am glad you got it figured out. Have a nice day!" said I
Then... He comes over and pets my head. 
Yeah. What?
Ha, it is actually pretty sad that I am an expert at getting away from drunkards... Whatevs. I got out of the situation quickly and we went home. 
Didn't even phase me, but Sister Sanders thought it was a hoot. She also doesn't want to talk with any men that seem like they remotely have a possibility of being drunk. 
Another example, 
We find every so often in this big park that is by our house. Last time she noticed that there was a man that just hides in the long grass and occasionally sticks his hands in the air... 
Why? No idea. 
But he is always there and that is far from the weirdest thing I have seen, but it is nevertheless, hilarious. 
We also got lost with an English couple coming down from one of the cable cars that take you up the mountain (taking you there when we come back.)
They knew about Mormons... Well, kindof.
They thought we ran around doing indian rain dances trying to convert people..
No, this is no joke. 
I am not quite sure based on the description what they saw, but it was cleared up pretty fast that no, actually, the Mormons are not an indian tribe that dances in front of peoples doors, trying to get them to believe in God...
We also got this week as we were talking with a man that Jesus Christ ACTUALLY grew up in Egypt, and was only able to perform the miracles he did because he studied in the pyramids. 
Um.
Who comes up with this stuff??
He also believes that he has been reincarnated 7 times and that in his previous lives he has lived in Egypt. Again with the Egypt. Apparantly there is this man named (something) Melchezideck who teaches all about the flight of Christ to Egypt. 
Sounds like false prophets to me..

We seem to get lost a lot. 
Especially on busses. 
Somehow we always get on the wrong bus, or the wrong way... Naja. It is cool. We get to experience a lot of Dresden and see lots of new faces!
We also seem to have some really cool experiences every single week.
I thought I would save the best ones for last because these first ones are absolutely hilarious. In my, Sister Babbitt, opinion.
We recieved a referral from the Leipzig Sisters (Sister Schmidt!) that one of their investigators friends wanted to learn more about the gospel! So they gave us the referral. A name and a number. 
So we called. Made out an appointment.
"Hey Romeo, where should we meet?"
"In front of the Frauenkircke, 7:30"
"Okay, how will we recognize you?"
"Well... My name IS Romeo. I simply look like a Romeo."
Good.... That is all we got. 
So we met him, and sure enough, he looks like a Romeo. He's actually really cool, not very religious, but wants to learn more. We are meeting with him this next week. Same place. Same time. Haha

We have been given a task by our ward to deliver invitations for a fireside they will have in a few weeks, and as we deliver envelopes, we get to talk with a lot of different people.
This particular envelope, was particularly hard to find.
We got to the street, but after about 30 minutes of looking for the address, we tried all of the side streets and ended up turning a corner looking absolutely and completely lost. 
Along came Polly... Kidding. Her name is Claudia. 
She saw the pathetic condition of our map reading skills and came to help us. 
Unfortunately, this address did not exist. 
Literally. On the street, there was a 3, 5, 7, and then a park, 13, 15, 17. We were looking for 11. Haha of course. We thought we had a little bit of hope when she phoned a friend. 
Claudia had all sorts of connections. Ha, but this one in particular worked for the post. So we were pretty confident that she would know of a number 11 on the street. Nope. Didn't exist. 
So we ended up just chatting with Claudia about a number of things about the gospel. She wasn't interested in learning more, but she was extremely nice and super happy to talk with us. She even gave us both huggs before we went on our way to find the other addresses. 
It's interesting how things work out. 
We needed to be on that street to meet Claudia. Even if she doesn't have interest now, later down the road she is going to remember those 2 religious girls with nametags from America and remember what she felt then. 
Also! We were going by on a bunch of contacts, talking with people... When we passed a family that was just coming out of their apartment building. 
We said hello, but went on our way. 
Then I felt like we had to go back. So we did. 
And found out that this family knows a few members of the ward! They had no interest, though.
So as we were walking back to the main street, Sister Sanders spots a woman across the street and stops. 
"Pretend like you are looking at the map. So we don't look like we are awkwardly waiting for her to cross!"
Uhh... I feel like this just got awkward. 
Anyway, she crosses and we introduce ourselves. 
Without hesistation, she says, "I have no time right now, but let's make an appointment so you can come to my house and we can talk when I am not so tired."
Sandra. 
Hm. Maybe listening to the Spirit doesn't always bring the results you think they will bring. AKA the family... But had we not gone back for the family, we would not have met Sandra. 
The reason this email is so late today is..... 
Because we went HIKING!!!
Man-o. I am just happier than a clam at the moment.
One of the members in the ward asked a few weeks ago if we wanted to go - some of his friends were coming and there we could build a few friendships and have an awesome p-day!
It was really fun, we went to the Sächsischer Schweiz and basically rock climbed... Like little handles sticking out of the rocks. I am not sure if that is actually kosher? ...But we survived?
It was great and I am SO tired. Good thing we have 3 more hours of work tonight ;)
Oh the life. 
I really am grateful to be here. As I was reading yesterday, I came across an article in the Ensign - the June one and I am not quite sure what it is called, but something stuck out to me about prayer and answers to it.
"When the Lord answers yes, it is to give us confidence.
When He answers no, it is to prevent error.
When He withholds an answer, it is to have us grow through faith in Him, obedience to His commandments, and awillingness to act on truth. We are expected to assume accountability by acting on a decision that is consistent with Histeachings without prior confirmation. We are not to sit passively waiting or to murmur because the Lord has not spoken. Weare to act."
The gospel is NOT passive. 
Nothing about the gospel assumes the easy road. WE ARE TO ACT. Everything we do is action. We study, we follow the commandments, we share our testimony. We are not to sit back and "see what happens". If there is no catalyst to a chemical reaction, the reaction doesn't go anywhere. SOMETHING has to jump-start, and that is what our actions do. 
I am so thankful for a Heavenly Father that guides me to figure things out. Who expands my mind and thoughts in order to gain knowledge and experience.
I am thankful that he loves me.
I hope you have a good week!
Love you Lots!
Sister Babbitt

No comments:

Post a Comment