Friday, July 18, 2014

July 14: Weltmeister!

So apparantly Deutschland won?
Haha we are watching the finale today at a member's house but we definitely knew about it last night at about... Oh you know. Midnight. When the streets erupted with cannons and fireworks. 
YAY FUßBALL!!!
Yesterday evening when we went out after study, every single person we saw was dressed up with the German flag going to their parties... Then 8 o clock rolled around and the entire city was dead... Nobody was outside.... 
But Germany won and the world cup is over! Happy day!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh this week was SOOOO much better than the past few weeks.
Miracle that happened this morning!
Backstory:
We were riding a bus to an appointment when this guy comes on and sits next to me. I started chatting with him in German, he switches to English when he figures out that we both speak better English than German. I ended up getting his number and we establish that we want to meet and talk about this "Book of Mormon thing".
He said he was busy this week but we could call him later. 
Fast forward to this morning.
We get a text, "Hey! This is Tom! What is up? Why didn't you call me yesterday??"
Ahhhhh Tommmmmmmmm SORRRRRRYYYY you told us you were busy!!!
Whatevs. We are meeting with him this week.

We met some gangsters this week. 
Okay, so they met us. 
We were walking back to our bus when we were about to pass this park bench... We could see people sitting on it, but weren't sure who they were... (We usually steer clear of men who are drinking and smoking and are in a group of more than one...) And we were just going to walk past them but then one of them talked to me... I am not exactly sure if he was trying to hit on us or whatever, but in the course of the past year and a half, I have learned that the fastest way to get a creeper to stop hitting on you is to automatically introduce yourself as a missionary and jump straight into a discourse about God. 
Usually what will happen is the look on their face will change. They say, "Oh... Sorry, yeah, I don't want anything to do with God." and walk away. 
Well, we ended up giving the first lesson to these two gangsters and giving them both a Book of Mormon. 
Do they want to meet? Yes. 
Are we giving them to the elders? Yes.
Right after that, we were finishing the walk to our bus and ANOTHER creeper.... Stares at my companion, winks and rides off on his dinky moped.
What was my first reaction?
Yelling at him as he drove off, "Can you not see this woman is a nun??!"
Thank you Nacho Libre. For apparantly coming in handy these last few weeks...

Remember Fedor? 
Well, we visited him again this week (and can I tell you the POWER of a joint teach? Holy, we have had a joint teach with him since day one and he has come A LONG way. Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that we make absolutely sure that at every lesson we have a member with us) and as we invited him to come to church (for the 20th time) he said,
"I think I need one more week. But I want to come next time!"
He even prayed and committed to God that he would come to church with us next week.
Cool part about this lesson though, was that he was going to call us and cancel it because he said that he had a lot on his mind and didn't know if he could pull it together for our meeting. Fortunately, he lost our number so we showed up anyway! haha

I found out this week that Hildegard and Clarissa actually ARE getting baptized at the end of this month! The 27th of July? I AM SO EXCITED

Okay so the ward put on this really cool... Missionary day thing... Where all the youth from 12-18 came together and learned about what it was like to be a missionary.
We were invited :)
So in the morning we had a zone conference thing where we shared things about our missions, the bishopric talked, etc... 
And later in the day we split up with the older youth to go do some missionary work. 
I was paired with our GML's daughter and we basically rocked it. We had 2 hours to have lessons, find, service... whatever we wanted to do and we hit the streets. 
The faith and competency of the youth these days AMAZES me. Denise is 17 and yet, she didn't need me to tell her how to go up to people and start a conversation about the gospel. She just did it. It's so natural for her and so easy for her to relate to people. I think I have forgotten that. (Okay confession. It terrified me. She just like... chatted like normal with a bunch of people and all I could think about was how I could get them to take one of the 4 Books of Mormon we brought with us... GOSPEL TOPICS RULE MY LIFE!!! Haha)

We also were able to organize a priesthood blessing for the less active/part member family in our ward that had just had a baby.... And it was so good. I love them so much. The Priesthood is real. And it can bless every single person on the planet. Member and non-member alike.
Lots of other random things occured this week including:
-Chipping one of my teeth. Don't worry. I am only trying to fit into the culture of bad teeth here... 
-Watching this horseless buggy roll around town all week. Why is there a horseless buggy??
-Playing with swedish fish. And throwing them in other Sister's windows...
-Getting a call from a member in Cottbus. Telling me that she would be in Dresden next week and I will see her. Aye Aye!!
-STILL getting lost on trains.
-Juggling tennis balls like a champ (this one is about me. Yes. I can juggle now)
-Trying to remember what Tacos taste like.
-Hunting fruit flies. Pretty sure I have either caught or ingested at least 200 this week.
-Sister Sanders asking me if she can get a pet slug... Instead of worms coming out in rainstorms, it is slugs. I told her no.
All in all, I think a quote our district leader, Elder Ames shared with us this week at District Meeting has basically goverened the majority of the week. 
Why did I forget this? No idea. 
But you shouldn't. And here it is:
"Life is 10% of what happens to you, and 90% of how you react to it."
And with that, I hope you have a great week!!!
Love you!
See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment