Monday, July 7, 2014

June 23: Freiberg x 2

Our new district leader called us the other night and had a riddle for us. 
Deep has it, but profound doesn't.
Cool has it, but calm doesn't.
Wood has it, but water doesn't...
And then Sister Sanders comes back with a riddle of her own...
"Who walks the streets for hours and can't find any investigators?"
....The answer to the second one is Sister Babbitt and Sister Sanders. 
Haha but really. This is something of a struggle to find people to teach recently...
Nevertheless,
we did have some really awesome experiences this week!
We went to the temple on Tuesday with the Tenneys!!
I never stop being amazed at what happens there.
The cool thing about the Freiberg temple is that it is super international. In our session, there were people that spoke English, German, Polish and Hungarian. It's the same in every language. And as I was listening to a prayer in Polish, I found that I could almost understand what was being said. 
Gift of interpretation of tongues?
No idea. But it was really cool.
On the way home though (and this is just something that happens here in the summertime...) we saw this man on his bike...
In a speedo.
But not a normal sized man. 
A 300 pound ex football player. 
Now if that doesn't scar you, I don't know what will...
Okay so in reference to the walking the streets for hours and not finding investigators... That part was definitely true this week.
Even though every single person we talked with shut us down, we DID have some miracles. (na KLAR!)
We chose a few less-active members to go by on, and some of them live a little further away from where we live, so it takes a little bit to go out there. 
This one in particular was in a little part of town that is not super populated...
But as we were looking for her house, we actually ran into her as she was out walking!
She has been having a super hard time with... well, life the past little while and she said that earlier that day, she had prayed for help. She emailed the sisters that taught her in Leipzig asking them to pray for her and then she went out for a walk.
That's when we found her. Not 20 minutes later.
We were able to walk with her a little bit and she accepted our help - to meet with her and help her feel God's love again.
One of our investigators was sick this week and we thought we would be really sweet and clever, and put some flowers on her doorstep.
We were trying to be sneaky as we were fidgiting with the card and the flowers when her door opens...
Uhhhhmmm...
"I thought I recognized your voices! What are you doing here?"
She let us in and we talked with her for a few minutes. She has had some major sinus problems for the last little while and has not been feeling top notch. But as we were leaving she said, "Thanks Sisters, for making my day!"
Mission accomplished.
We got to go to the temple again this week! Freiberg, take two!
But this time it was for a little mini zone conference for some of the youth in the Nurenburg (?) stake. By Frankfurt. 
And guess who I saw?!
Elder and Sister Gordon. 
Haha, flashbacks to childhood!
But the zone conference was good. I am pretty sure I was just as distracted as the kids... But stick a bunch of 12-16 year olds in a room for 4 hours, we all will go insane.
So a few weeks ago, we had a mission tour with Elder Dyches... And he taught us how to make these little origami shirts so that we can leave them at members houses for little thank you notes... Well, Sister Sanders thinks they are the best things ever. And she uses them for almost everything EXCEPT notes for members.
We have a little bathroom chart with all of the sister's in our apartments heads sticking out of the origami shirts, so that when someone is in the bathroom, they take their origami shirt and put it into a little pocket so the rest of us know who is in the bathroom - to avoid accidents...
And the other day, she starts taping a bunch of paper together.
"Do you think we could make one big enough to actually wear?"
Hm. Yes. I do think so. 
We modeled it for the other sisters. Origami shirts. New missionary staple?
We got rootbeer from a member yesterday.
That's pretty much all that needs to be said about that. 
As I was reading a few days ago, I read the verse Mosiah 1:7
 And now, my sons, I would that ye should remember to search them diligently, that ye may profit thereby; and I wouldthat ye should keep the commandments of God, that ye may prosper in the land according to the promises which the Lordmade unto our fathers.
I thought this was interesting. King Benjamin is talking about the scriptures here. He says we should search the scriptures diligently so that we can profit from them. And I thought about how the best tool we have as members of the church - for any questions - are the scriptures. But how good is our best tool if we don't know how to use it?
I hope you get great tidbits of knowledge out of your daily scripture study. I know I do. Something that I had studied comes back to me throughout the day and helps me remember my eternal identity. Helps me remember who Jesus Christ really is and what he has done for me. 
I hope you have a wonderful week! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment