Monday, July 7, 2014

July 7: How Beautiful

I always know when Germany has won their game in the World Cup, even though we are not watching it...
At about 7:45 every night when Germany plays, the streets erupt in fireworks, honking cars and lots of drunk people. Okay the drunk people is a giv-in. That happens just about every holiday. 
And let's be honest, the World Cup is a holiday here. 
I think I will continue to blame our investigator-less state on the fact that every single person gets into soccer here. I have a love hate relationship with the World Cup. I love it that it is a conversation starter and people are more than happy to talk about it, but hate that nobody has time to meet because of it. "I'll call you after the 14th.", "I have no time. I watch the World Cup every night!", "Soccer is my God..."
Cool story bro. 

Have you seen Nacho Libre?
If not, find the clip on youtube where Nacho is talking to Esquelto about his salvation (trust me, it is SO much better to watch...)
Nacho: I'm a little concerned right now about your salvation and stuff.... Why have you not been baptized??!
Esquelto: Why do you always have to be judging me because I only believe in science?
. Enough said.
But. There are progressions. Although we don't have any new solid investigators... Or any new investigators at all, we have this contact who barely speaks any english or german..
Who we are trying to help speak German.
Don't ask how that works... but it is!
So back up story. We met her and she invited us into her house right away. We talked a little bit in the broken english she could understand and offered our help teaching German.
Through the last few months, she had been super stressed with her two children always crying during our lessons, not knowing any german and feeling really impatient because it's not coming as fast as she wants it to... 
Well, Sister Sanders and I devised a plan. One of us would read super simple childrens books with her so she can start getting the grammar, words and pronounciation (works like a charm. Learning a language? READ TO CHILDREN. Ha) and the other would distract the children. With coloring books, the two origami things I can make and things that basically take their attention away from always being with mom.
Well, this past lesson we had with her was FANTASTIC. She commented on the feeling she gets when we come over and is so thankful that we are patient with her learning German. Also that we are good with her children. 
It's interesting how the Spirit can penetrate any language barrier. Sometimes it just needs to be calm enough for it to flow freely. I love that.
We were at a lesson with a part member-less active family and we were getting ready to go. This family has a 3 year old daughter and I asked her if we could pray with her and her family before we left. She said yes and climbed onto my lap (holy. I love children. Best feeling ever to be loved by a 3 year old...) Her dad asked if I would say the prayer and as I started, the little girl repeated every word. 
It reminded me of the times when the kids would go up on Sundays to bear their testimony in front of the congregation, but they can't do it without their parents... So they whisper it into their ear and by the end, the kid is so happy he's basically slobbering on the microphone?
I love that.
Sister Sanders is teaching me how to juggle. In return, I am teaching her how to play the guitar. 
One of the elders loaned me his guitar for the week and it is GLORIOUS. Well, as glorious as a duck-taped together ancient guitar worth about 5 euro can get... 
Missionary resourcefulness. Gotta love it.
The other day when we were walking home, we spotted this older woman carrying a bag that looked like it weighed just about as much as her, so we stopped her and carried her bag for her (yeah. it totally weighed as much as she did... ha)
But she asked who we were and we told her we were missionaries.
"Oh, you're Mormon? I should have guessed! We had some of your people over for dinner once. They were so nice. Like you!"
...What?
As I was thinking about that, I realized how much of an impact being examples in word and action is... This woman recognized us not because of the tags we were wearing (she didn't even see them) or introducing ourselves as missionaries (there are missionaries from lots of churches. Including Jdubs...) but rather the simple act of service we did. 
That was super cool to me.
We had a 4th of July BBQ with the Tenneys! 
Sister Sanders and I dressed up for the occasion. I matched the flag.
#mericanpride.
My last Fast Sunday in Germany was yesterday... That was weird. And sad.
As I have been thinking about, well, everything, and realizing that a chapter of my life is now ending and a new one beginning I ran across this verse in my study.
Mosiah 18:30
 "And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near thewaters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to theeyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to hispraise forever."
I realized that it is not sad. These people who were baptized in Mormon, who left everything behind because they knew something else was there and it was better... I'm sure they didn't really want to leave Mormon when they had to because of their attachment to it. That's kindof how I am feeling right now. My emotions go back and forth between wanting to come home to wishing I could stay here. I found comfort in this verse though, especially the part "How beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer".
I realized that I have many places like that, and Germany just got added to the list. In fact, there are specific places in Germany: investigator's apartments, my apartment, the church, specific streets, specific park benches... How beautiful these simple things are to my eyes. I came to know my Redeemer a little more in each of these places and even though the place may not be within reach, my testimony is. 
I love you! I hope you have a wonderful week! We will.
Sister Babbitt

No comments:

Post a Comment