Thursday, December 12, 2013

April 22, 2013: I Can't Think of a Title..


I can't believe I talk with people in German every day.
Seriously.
The crazier thing is, is that more often than not, I understand them.
Sometimes this is good, other times make for interesting stories.
For example, as Sister McCandless and I were walking to the bahn stop, we noticed a lady looking at us from her balcony. I said hi, and we started having a conversation (kindof awkward because she was on the 3rd floor balcony, and we were on the street... Anyway). We talked to her about Christ and the Restoration, and all the sudden, she asks, "Are you wicked?".
I don't know about you, but if I was looking at two young girls who just looked like they walked out of church choir practice, I don't think I would assume they were possessed by the devil.
Anyway, we told her no, and then she went inside and we didn't see her again.
Every slammed door is one step closer to one that opens, right?
We had miracles with two of our investigators this week!
We have been teaching a man named Jurgen and every time we teach him, he comments about how hard it is for him to understand the Book of Mormon. We tried a few different ways to help him to understand, but then we finally decided on just reading a story with him and asking him questions about it as we read. We decided to read Enos with him. He has been struggling with how to deal with the problems in his life (who isn't??) and who to turn to. So as we read the first part of Enos with him, we asked him how he was like Enos. 
Not only did he give a clear answer, he successfully likened the scriptures unto his life! We were so proud :)
As we have been reading with him, he seems to sense the love that we really do have for him and how much we want him to understand. He is not just a "baptism". His faith seems to grow every time we meet, and THAT. Is a miracle.
Another miracle is that Martin, another investigator, is ALSO reading the Book of Mormon. We gave him a taufkalendar with a scripture every day leading up to his baptism and he called the other night and was elated because he was able to read (this is the man that is almost blind), and because he was able to come to church for the whole 3 hours. And as I sat next to him in church, I noticed he was writing down questions he had about what was being said and doctrines he didn't understand. 
I almost jumped out of my seat for joy. He has definitely tasted of the Spirit, and he wants more. 
I read some of the March Liahona this week and there was a talk by one of the 70 called "The Power of the Word of God" and at the end, there were 3 questions that really made me think. 
1. Do I take time to study the scriptures every day?
2. If not, what excuse do I have for not doing so?
3. Will my excuse be acceptable to the Lord?
As I thought about this, I realized how important ACTUAL SCRIPTURE STUDY is. There are good books, good magazines, good opinions on doctrine that can be read, but the pure, simple truth that comes directly from the source cannot be copied. 
I can't count how many times I have been enlightened by reading directly from the scriptures. Something new jumps out at me every time. I am so grateful for the personal and companion study time we have. It really is so precious!
And to end for the week, I have been thinking a lot about a quote I found earlier. It's by President Ezra Taft Benson.
"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."
Meine Lieblings!
Please do all you can to make Christ a reality in your life.
I have already seen it working in the people we associate with every day. Christ does more for you than you could EVER do for yourself.
All my love!
Sister Babbitt

No comments:

Post a Comment