Friday, April 19, 2013

Conference Spoilers April 8th

I feel like Sister McCandless and I have almost found the way we teach together. It's been a hard week, but a week still full of miracles. 

We taught an investigator, Martin, this week, and committed him to a baptismal date on the 26th of May. Some years ago, he had an accident where he was roofing a house and fell off. He was in a coma for 3 months, and when he came out, he wasn't able to use his legs to their full potential, and was extremely visually impared. On top of that, his wife took his son and left. My heart completely breaks for this man, and yet, I don't think I have ever met anyone with as much faith as he has. We taught him the Word of Wisdom, not knowing for sure how he would react because he is addicted to smoking, but it seemed like he knew it was coming and is totally and completely ready to change his life. We call him at night and ask how the day was, and he told us the other day that he used to smoke 28 cigarettes per day, and since we talked to him on Thursday, the most he's smoked is 5. WOW. I can honestly see the power of the atonement working in his life, and I can't even imagine how happy he is. We have wonders here in Cottbus and I am so grateful that I am here to see them.

I feel a little bit of a spiritual void this week because we were not able to watch conference on Sunday, but it was good for Sister McCandless to rest and start feeling better. Today, we are going to do our grocery shopping and then head straight back home so she can rest some more. 
I am amazed by her resilience! Even though she feels like crashing on her bed for the entire day, she does everything she can to help keep the investigators and the work here in Cottbus going. I really look up to her so much. 

I'm still getting a hold of the language. We taught English class on Thursday and as I explained the Book of Mormon (in the time we have to present a short lesson afterwards), I told the class that Lehi and his family built a sheep instead of a ship. They thought that was the funniest thing ever, but afterwards, a man asked if he could take the book home. OF COURSE YOU CAN!! Haha all's well that ends well.
Something I've noticed about my scripture study: 
For some reason, I love sea stories. Anything to do with the ocean, I just... connect with.
This week as I finished the Book of Mormon, I especially related to the Brother of Jared. I cannot BELIEVE the faith of that man. 
Can you imagine having so much faith that you actually say to the Lord, "Show yourself unto me" and HE DOES???! Yeah. Me neither.
Anyway, as he travels with the small group on the sea for 344 days, he says this in Ether 6:10,
"And thus they were driven forth; and NO MONSTER... could break them, neither (anything) that could mar them; and they did have light continually..."
WHAT FAITH!!!
I feel like that is something we can all strive for. The faith that NO MONSTER cough...satan...cough can break them, nothing that could harm them, and they did have light CONTINUALLY. 

Now, I am going to use the rest of the time I have to watch the Conferences we missed! No spoilers. ;) Thanks.
Sister Babbitt

1 comment: