Friday, April 19, 2013

I belong here March 25th

Can you say holy change of everything I ever thought I knew?
I boarded the train on Tuesday morning from Dresden to Cottbus and had the entire Dresden family there. All the Elders were there to see me off as well as my two cute companions. Aw wie suß right?? We are still in the same zone, so I get to see them for Zone Conference and the likes, but I honestly will miss working with them.
Because now I am in Cottbus with Sister McCandless and we are the only missionaries in the ward! What a change. Going from 10 to 2. Naja, it is actually probably the best thing ever. 
So as soon as I got off the train, I had a greeting party including Sister McCandless, Schwester Lehman (our Relief Society president) and Elder Jenkins who was waiting for his new companion. 
Transfers are weird. I sat on the train alone. And... slept? It's a miracle I didn't miss my stop. Haha
I had my first actual door to door experience. We didn't do a whole lot of that in Dresden because people are outside. All the time. Even in blizzards and ice wind. People are outside. And they stop to talk to you for a minute or so... Just to be nice. 
Okay, whoever said Germans weren't nice... Well. Okay false. Germans are polite. For the most part... There are occasionally ones who chase you out of the apartment building with an umbrella. That may or may not have happened.
A little about my new companion: 
She is such a hard worker. 
This is in part because her trainer was crazy. A good crazy! Like... She didn't even stop for lunch crazy. So Sister McCandless thought I was weird when I suggested we go back to the Wohnung to eat lunch. Ha anyway!
She is actually in the group that came to Germany 5 days before I did, so we are both kindof training eachother...
How that actually works I don't know, because your trainer is your "mom" and if you change trainers after a transfer they are your "step-mom". So we are each other's "step-moms"? Naja. We prefer the term "orphans". We basically have to figure most everything out for ourselves anyway! Which is actually quite an adventure!
Anyway, Sister McCandless went to Westminster and graduated with a degree in Communications. She is super smart, super focused, and super cute. 
And we, the goldens, get to work on our German together!
I'm pretty sure by the end of the transfer, we will be speaking a whole new made up language that only she and I can understand. 

So we actually have two investigators here on Tauftermin (...baptismal date? How do you say that in English? Naja) and hopefully we can keep the momentum that Sister Walker started going. It's really interesting to teach in German because often, the investigator doesn't understand, but there have been times when we end up talking and our German is perfectly understood. 
This is definitely the Lord helping us. Especially because it's hard to help ourselves. I was actually reading in 3rd Nephi the other day where it talks about the Lord taking care of the beasts and creatures of the earth. He asks why sometimes we think He won't take care of us even though He takes care of the birds and other animals. He makes sure their needs are met, and because God doesn't waste His resources, of course He will take care of us!
There is SO much work here to do and it's crazy how fast/slow the time goes. Days go on FOREVER, but the weeks fly by.
I am absolutely loving it. I love Cottbus, the ward is the best ward ever! 
I am also praying for spring.
Liebe, 
Sister Babbitt!

No comments:

Post a Comment