Thursday, December 12, 2013

May 20: Bruder Graf gets BAPTIZED!

I LOVE being a missionary! I don't think I could say it enough, thank God enough, to really express how much joy I have found so far. 
This was especially prominent this last week as Martin Graf was preparing for his baptism. I asked him a few times throughout the week if he was ready to be baptized on Sunday, and he always responded the same, "I was ready yesterday!" 
One experience in particular that will always be something I look back on is the last lesson we had before his baptism. 
Sister Miller suggested that we do a Book of Mormon chapter study session with him, because everything we teach he just gets, and so our lessons always go shorter than planned. So we both studied 2 Ne. 31 the morning of the lesson and went in prepared to read, discuss, and answer questions. 
Now, this man is 75% blind, but when we arrived, he told us that he had read all the scriptures in his scripture calendar once more, and was THRILLED that we would be reading with him for the lesson. As we went through the chapter, I could literally see the progress he had made since the time I first met him. It was in his eyes. His understanding was more than I could have ever imagined at the beginning, and I thought to myself then, that if this was the only person I ever taught that wanted to be baptized, then my mission was worth it. 
THEN. Saturday came, he had his interview and when he passed, he was DANCING AROUND THE CHURCH! I have not seen anyone more happy than Bruder Graf was at that moment. This was especially awesome because he has to walk around with a cane normally, but he was so full of excitement and joy that he couldn't contain himself. 
The best part, however, was Sunday, at his baptismal service. He was taken in to get changed into his white suit, and when he came out, he could not stop crying. Which, in turn, made me cry. The whole service, he was so filled with the Spirit, there was no mistaking his conversion. He shared his favorite scripture, Alma 32: 30 and was just beside himself with joy. 
That night, I called him to ask how he was doing and how he felt. 
"I feel so good that I could give the whole world a hug... But my arms are too short!"
That moment, I knew that if I didn't see anyone else baptized, my whole life would be worth it. This one man that I had the priviledge to know, to share the gospel with, has changed his life and is absolutely ecstatic about it. 
Seeing the joy that came to this man only makes me want to work that much more. If Bruder Graf can do it, others can too, and Sister Miller and I are going to work. I'm not going home until I see Germany baptized ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment