Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rubber Bands and Dr. Pepper

Time here in the MTC is like a rubber band. The days go by SO SLOWLY, but as soon as you look back on the week, you realize how fast it flew and how far you've come.
 
I don't know if I can even try to explain everything I've learned this week because I feel like I've gained a lifetime of knowledge in a few short days, but there are a few things that stuck out to me.
 
1) For the MTC devotional on Tuesday, Gregory A. Schwitzer of the 70 came and spoke to us. We talked about conversion and love and how love literally makes the world go round.
I feel like all the talks and what we learn about center on love! Even before I left for the MTC, I felt like that was something the world needed more than anything. As I was thinking about why the world needs love, I thought about the perfect example of love. Christ. So what the world is really telling us, when it says that it needs love, is that the world more than anything needs Jesus Christ.
Brother Schwitzer also talked a lot about how we aren't only trying to gain a testimony - we are striving for conversion.
A testimony is when you know what is right. Conversion is when you do what is right.
 
2) Teaching is hard.
I know I know this, but when I try to formulate sentences (in German, nonetheless) it all comes out as a jumbled mess.
Something I've learned about the MTC though, is that every single person here will tell you the honest truth. Not in a mean way (because we do that sometimes) but in ways that are constructive and loving.
There have been times where I have said something and the person I am teaching looks at me like, "You are so cute, but I don't know what you're saying!"
And other times I have definitely felt the power of the Spirit take over my words and even though my German isn't perfect, they understand what is being taught because there are two teachers that accompany a lesson - an imperfect one and a perfect one.
 
3) The BEST part of the day is personal study.
You talk to return missionaries and they say that you rarely ever study as much as you do in the MTC. I can absolutely testify that that statement is true. However, I don't get enough studying done! Personal study every day is an hour, but as soon as the hour is up, I feel like I am on a roll and don't want to stop!
Seriously, try it! Ask for guidance for something to study and do it for an hour. The beginning of the hour might be slow, but as soon as you dig into the scriptures you don't want to stop.
The scriptures are a GOLDMINE!!! Seriously. Try it.
4) A member of our branch presidency came and talked with us after the devotional and he said something that was interesting to me.
He said that the MTC was one of the top 5 most sacred places in the world.
As I thought about it, I found that he was ABSOLUTELY right! Where else in the world will you find worthy young women and Priesthood holders so concentrated on studying and proclaiming the gospel?!
I counted the other day, and found that on average, I give/participate in a vocal prayer at least 15 times per day.
Crazy, right?
But let me tell you, praying continually, aloud and silently is the SUREST way to have the Spirit with you.
Satan cringes when you pray. SO DO IT OFTEN!
 
5) the Lord doesn't show you point Z when you are only on point A or B. He shows you the NEXT step, because this life is a process and you are supposed to learn! Be patient and trust that He will take care of you! He's promised that He will.
 
 
Thank you so much for the wonderful letters, notes, and packages! I know it's only been a week, but receiving a letter is seriously like Christmas. Sister Sykes and I basically run around and jump for joy every time one of us gets mail. It's wonderful!
 
I wish I could express more thoughts about the MTC, but I honestly don't feel like I have a lot of experience! But it was SOOO fun to see the new missionaries that came in this Wednesday and wish them a warm welcome to the MTC! It's so fun to see them so excited. I almost felt old ;) The only down part is that the lines for lunch and dinner are INSANELY LONG. So Sister Sykes and I shovel our food every day in order to get back to class on time.
 
Fun fact: The day my district came into the MTC, there were 815 missionaries that reported. The BIGGEST in history. So far.
That same day, 92 of the 815 are going GERMAN SPEAKING!!!!!
 
What what!?! Represent!
 
Everyone keeps telling us that Germany is going to become the "new Brazil".
I guess that a few years ago, President Uchtdorf came and spoke to every single member in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Lichtenstein and told them that they needed to be bold in opening their mouths and proclaiming the gospel to their friends and neighbors. And guess what? It's happening.
 
I'm so excited to leave! Nervous, but excited!
There is obviously a reason that God needs all 15 of us in Germany right away.
 
I have a commission for you all. Every eye that reads this.
I NEED OBJECT LESSONS!!!! The number one thing I need to work on is involving investigators in lessons. What better way, right?! So, if you have one, or can think of one (simple, nothing with fire/bleach stuff like that... I wanted to do a fire one, but apparantly missionaries are NOT allowed to play with fire. Bummer.) please write me and let me know! I will love you forever and be indebted to you indefinitely.
 
I LOVE THIS WORK! Okay, so I haven't even taught a real investigator yet, but the gospel is SO true!
Open your mouths! And don't be afraid! Why?!
BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST!
And He will help you if you try. I promise you.
 
Liebe ihnen alles!!!
 
Sister Babbitt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment